Enjoy this sweet and savory fall favorite. It is vegan-friendly, heart-healthy and delicious. this recipe uses a unique blend of ingredients to create an all-time favorite.
- 3-medium butternut squash
- 2-large onions chopped
- 5 TBL butter
- 8 Cups chicken broth
- 4 Cups coconut milk (Unsweetened)
- 10 pitted dates
- 1 TBL pumpkin pie spice (can substitute any of your favorite fall spices)
- Split the squash in half the long way and take out the seeds. Keep them for roasting and garnish. See directions below.
- Place the cut sides of the squash down on a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper. Cover the whole pan with foil.
- Bake in a 4000 oven until the squash is tender 1-2 hours. I love it when the bottom caramelizes. It adds natural sweetness. Let cool.
- Saute the onions in butter until tender. For less fat or vegetarian options use coconut oil.
- Take the cooled squash and peel. Add half to a high-speed blender or use an immersion mixer with 4 cups of broth. Blend until smooth. Pour into a crockpot or your preferred cooking vessel.
- Repeat with the rest of the squash and the remaining broth.
- Add dates and coconut milk to the high-speed blender along with the sauteed onions.
- Blend until smooth and add to the prepared squash.
- Add two tsp of pumpkin pie spice.
- Warm soup stirring often.
- (optional) Place the squash seeds on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast your squash seeds in the oven until golden brown. Sprinkle on soup before serving.