This delicate Armenian sugar cookie can be made in a variety of shapes using different nuts or no nuts at all.
- 1 c. butter, room temp
- 1 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- pistachios or half of a walnut for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, egg yolk salt, and vanilla extract beating until it is all incorporated.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until creamy. I use the paddle attachment on my mixer.
- Slowly add flour scraping down the sides often until all the ingredients are combined
- Pinch off a tablespoon-sized piece of dough. I use a melon scoop and weigh each cookie so that it is about 18 grams.
- Roll the dough into a rope shape, about 3-4 inches long.
- Shape into a circle and press rope ends together with your thumb.
- Press a pistachio nut into the rope ends for added security. (optional)
- Continue this process until all the dough is used.
- Bake for no more than 15 minutes. Color should hardly change at all.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional)
Cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
The yield will depend on the shape is 30 cookies
Roll dough out between two 1/4″ dowels and use a cookie cutter-quantity will vary depending on the size of the cookie cutter. (Shamrock shape yielded 26 cookies)
Almond hand-shaped cookies with a walnut half on top, 18 grams each yields 30 cookies